The aim of this course is to provide supervisors with the necessary skills and knowledge to enable them to either supervise, or to safely operate and change/mount abrasive wheels and become or select a registered ‘Appointed Person’.
In addition they receive training in the heightened responsibilities of anyone supervising the use of abrasive wheels as specified in the 1998 PUWER regulations.
The course covers the following areas:
- Identifying potential hazards arising from the use of abrasive wheels.
- Correct method for storing, handling and transporting abrasive wheels.
- An understanding of the CE marking system for abrasive wheels.
- Explanation of the function of the components used on abrasive wheels.
- Mounting and use of an abrasive wheel, including correct method of adjusting guards / work rests and dressing wheels.
- Legal requirements of an appointed person.
- Supervisors responsibilities, training, competency, risk analysis, controls measures
- Additional legal requirements of HSWA, PUWER & (MHSWR)