The aim of this course is to enable candidates to achieve and demonstrate a suitable level of competence when taking samples from mains on the water distribution network whilst minimising the risk of contamination, damage and disruption to supplies.
The course covers the following areas:
- Understand why samples are taken
- Avoiding damage or impact on the network
- How to take chemical and bacteriological samples hygienically
- Chlorine residuals and Turbidity measurement
- Common mistakes that compromise samples
- Carry out the activity safely
- Water quality issues related to mains sampling
- Hydrant and standpipe disinfection
- Use of tools and technology associated with mains sampling
- Written and practical demonstration
Candidates must possess a current National Water Hygiene Card and will require suitable PPE to take part in the course.